Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Plastic Man movie circa 1989

When I was younger, I collected a lot of comic books. My favorites were Transformers, Fanatastic Four and Plastic Man. The reasons why I loved Fantastic Four and Plastic Man was that they had characters who could stretch and/or change into things. I also loved Elongated Man, but he only had a one-off issue starring him, but the rest of the time you'd have to find him in Flash comics or Justice League America and Europe.

Plastic Man was by far my favorite. He is/was cocky, yet funny and he rarely fought supernatural beings, he would often fight real criminals like the early Batmans. I loved the Saturday Morning cartoon series even, yet his character was drastically different than the comics (where was Woozy Winks???).

I always loved movies, but combine that with my love for comic books, I had to pick up issues of Starlog and/or Comics Scene magazines when I saw them at the local book store or Comic book store. They would have article upon articles about movies and tv shows being made based off of comics. Keep in mind this was during the Batman craze, so every studio talked about releasing the next movie based off of a comic book, but it was rare to see it (Punisher was terrible and flopped and Roger Corman's Fantastic Four was a joke).

I was recently rifling through my Comics Scenes and I saw articles about wanting to make an Iron Man movie, 18 years before it was actually made and another article about director Joe Dante being discussed to direct a Plastic Man movie! I remember as a kid thinking that this movie would be AMAZING!!! I love Joe Dante movies, Gremlins and Gremlins 2 are so great for many different reasons. Innerspace is funny and charming (my brothers and I still quote that movie "Ever see the Outlaw Yosee Vale? Vhat a flick!") Explorers made me want to go to outer space with my friends. And even the Burbs was weird but fun. So combine Joe Dante and my favorite comic book character, that would've been a young Cinemascapist's dream come true. Alas it never happened, but you can read the article here:


No comments:

Post a Comment